We all know that the ocean covers 71% of the Earth’s surface. As surfers we’re constantly engaging in and interacting with the largest wilderness mass on our plant. Daily we move backwards and forwards between these aquatic and land based worlds. Over the years we’ve developed a sensitivity towards and appreciation of the ocean, which provides us with so much joy as well as an insight into how our behaviour effects the environment.
Looking into the future, could it be possible that surfers en mass become the de-facto environmental custodians of our global marine and coastal resources? Could we re-define the concept of what surfing localism means? Could we take our love and appreciation of the sea back onto the land and share that consciousness with our fellow land dwelling humans, could we be the agents of change? If we could, could we change the way people lead their lives so that our children and their children can enjoy the same resources we do?
Shew, that is a big ask but we have to start somewhere.
Thegreenersurfer is an experiment in attempting to grow and share an awareness and appreciation for our environment.
We're just a small bunch of surfers but we're passionate and it is a start.
There is only one objective and that is to challenge our beliefs about how we choose to live as surfers and how by making small incremental changes to our lifestyles we can minimise and ultimately neutralise the negative impact that we as humans have on the health of our planet.
To share best practice, to positively inspire each other to make sensible and healthy changes to our lifestyles, to make informed decisions and choices and above all to motivate each other to change for the better.
A blog based website where we get to follow the journey of 3 normal but different surfers who embark on a month long quest to become more aware of and sensitive of the impact our lifestyles have on our environment. The bloggers will attempt to increase their consciousness while decreasing their negative impact on the environment over the course of 30 days. They will share their learning’s with the rest of us. The public is invited to get involved either in the comments section of the individual blogs or as a blog post in the public blog section.
The website is under construction and the selection process for the 3 chosen bloggers is underway. Dry launch is scheduled for 22nd of September. Public launch is scheduled for 1 October 2012. Thegreenersurfer will run for the month of October. Upon completion of the month we may decide to extend the program or wrap it up depending on public interest and the effectiveness in achieving it’s objectives.
Thegreenersurfer is a positive orientation, which recognises that change is not a light-switch solution, but rather a process of education, awareness and application of knowledge. Though we worry about the incumbent greed in humanity we have faith in its intelligence and resourcefulness to solve the problems we have created for our environment and ourselves. We recognise that small steps are better than no steps and that as long as we’re trying we have a chance. We are not militant, aggressive or patronising. We seek to create change by taking the stoke and love of the ocean and using that to positively inspire those around us to take stock and start protecting what they value and love by expanding their awareness and adjusting their lifestyles.
1. Everyone is invited as a viewer and to post comments in the comments section.
2. The 3 main bloggers. This is a non-paying gig. You do need to be passionate about surfing and the environment. You need to be capable of documenting your lifestyle with both video and stills and you need to be able to articulate your thoughts, ideas and actions. You also need to be diligent about checking in daily and honest about sharing your life for one month. If you are interested in being one of the 3 please send a profile and motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org before 10/09/2012.
3. Sponsorship. Our needs are modest and really only need to cover the development costs and maintenance of the site, total should amount about to R30K. If you would like to be a sponsor please contact email@example.com.
4. Advertising. There are 3 advertising opportunities ONLY, available at a cost of R10 000 incl Vat each for the month. These include representation on every page of the website. If you are interested in one of these highly visible and very exclusive positions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. If you have a business, service or function that legitimately creates awareness, provides practical useful information or in some other way could contribute to the greater good of this initiative we will provide a FREE listing in our contacts/links section.
thegreenersurfer.com is a Big Ocean Media Bros initiative.
Any other queries can be addressed to email@example.com
Big Ocean Media Bros CC
81 Monmouth Road
+27 82 8863424
+27 31 2072281