Turning your back on perfect surf, broken boards and a solid thrashing.
Who Blew Up?
1. Sarah Baum - Sarah ended up a creditable 5th in The Breaka Burleigh Pro last week on The Gold Coast. The Goofy footer from Toti put on a display of radical surfing and was unlucky to fall short in her quarter final match up against eventual runner up Malia Manuel. Sally Fitz took the top spot.
2. Owen Wright - Owen beat Adam Melling in the finals of the Breaka Burleigh Pro in what will count as a great warm up to the Quik Pro at Snapper in a couple of weeks time. The Talented Gold Coast Goofy Footer last won an event in New York in 2011, where he took out the all time mondo paycheck of US$ 300 000 and beat Kelly Slater in the finals.
3. The J-Bay Boardriders club team - comprising of Dylan Lightfoot, Emma Smith, Dominique Abersalie, Kelvin Zehmke and Shannon Ainslie. After a long drive from half way up the east coast to half way up the west coast the boys from J-Bay trounced their rivals and gained bragging rights in the Inaugural Billabong Interclub event that went down in icy little waves at Yzerfontein on the wes-kus. Nice work guys, safe drive home!
Who Blew It?
1. Casey Grant, Chris Leppan and Beyrick de Vries - After having one of the most memorable sessions ever recorded at a slab up north these three barrel hounds bailed leaving behind 2 more days of cooking waves and some very bewildered locals who now knew what was technically possible at their spot but wanted no part of the wave that these guys had opened up to charging.
2. John McCarthy. After jinxing himself solidly by posting pictures on FB of a blister he gained on his feet while surfing in Mozambique last week he followed a false lead this weekend to go and surf the dawnie down the south coast. He arrived to dirty water lapping along the rocks and sharky conditions. He decided to try and salvage the day by taking his prized Alaia out for a spin. On his way out he slipped off the rocks, stubbed his toe and cracked the nose of his beloved Alaia. Bleeding and with a broken board his session lasted exactly one wave before he retreated back to Durban with his tail between his legs.
3. Brett Burcher. If you think you are having a bad Monday, then watch this video of Aussie charger Brett Burcher getting napalmed at ‘The Right’ and you’ll feel a whole lot better about your current predicament. It is no wonder he got a XXL nomination for best wipeout!
Got something to say? Then leave a comment!
Posted by alias on the 11/02/2013 10:04
sharky conditions WTF is that????
Posted by gman on the 11/02/2013 10:29
I dont know where he surfed but south coast was super fun all all weekend, i think he surfed town and tripped on the promenade
Posted by mark on the 11/02/2013 10:31
Watch for Owen Wright for the world title this year,he's got a very full repertoire and is surfing like 2011 all over again.
Posted by jared on the 11/02/2013 15:09
while us ous work hard, and we see bragging blisters, you know karma is gonna come looking...
Posted by slightly stoopid on the 12/02/2013 12:17
that wipe out is beyond hectic!! 10 /10 for having the pose to body surf it but how the hell did you think it was going to end son?? hectic.